Running Legal Like A Business - Ch. 17 - A Playbook for Playbooking
Since process automation, optimization and contracting were hot topics at CLOC's Global Institute (#CGI2022), fitting that we pick back up on Connie Brenton and Susan Lambreth's book Running Legal Like A Business (PLI Press, 2021) with chapter 17 author Andy Banquer of Quislex to cover the key ingredients for a useful playbook. His playbook recipe is not specific to contracts and describes several common playbook types: How-to, Process, Contracting, and AI. The last type is a set of business rules for a computer program to follow and is the focus of Ch. 18.
Banquer includes 7 brief checklists to help you create a playbook under the headings: Defining Scope, Defining Purpose, Targeting Audience, Drafting, Reviewing the Preliminary Draft, Publishing and Maintenance.
Currently, I'm in process of drafting 2 new playbooks:
1. Legal intake tool for requesters and for responders, and
2. How to write business requirements for a tailor-made PowerAutomate contracts tool.
On the first, it is being road-tested during UAT when testers will be asked to provide feedback on the clarity of the playbook as well as the function of the tool itself. The latter is a kit to be piloted with the initial client and refined.
Following the example of Banquer, here's a partial list of playbooks I've created over the past decade:
- Matter Budgets Guide *
- Month-end Reconciliation and Budget Estimate Updates Guide *
- Rates Review Guide* for Legal and Administrators; for Legal Service Providers
- Matter Management and Legal Billing Guide for Finance and Legal Users; for Administrators
- Legal Accruals Guide
- Contracts Tool Guide for Administrators; for Procurement Users with Legal Users Supplement; for Sales Teams
- Contracts Playbook for All Agreement Types
- NDA Agreement Review Process
- Sales Agreement Review Process
- Master Purchase Agreement Review Process for Procurement and Legal
- On-boarding and Off-boarding Process Guide *
- How to Verify Attorneys' Registration Status Guide
- Legal Town Hall Call Producer Guide
- SharePoint Legal Portal Administrator Guide
- CLE Program Administrator Guide for NY and CA
- Electronic Signatures Guide for Account and Organization Administrators
- Legal Entity Management Guide for Administrators
- Legal Hold, Preservation and Collection Guide for Administrators
- Anti-Corruption Tool Guide for Administrators, for Internal Team; for Payees
Those with an asterisk (*) are Included in Ops in a Box, Legal Edition, which has 295 pages of content and over 30 templates, playbooks, and checklists, focusing on core areas to jump start your legal operations function.